Kids in the Game is dedicated to developing New York City’s youth by providing opportunities through sports and fitness to the schools and communities we serve. Our goal is to develop the next generation of leaders by developing healthy habits, an active lifestyle, and promoting personal growth through play and competition.
During the school year, KING is rooted in dozens of schools around New York City, offering recess, after-school, physical education, early drop off fitness, and sports instruction. In addition, KING operates summer camps, sports clinics (basketball, soccer, volleyball), and special events.
Physical Education Teacher
Our coaches and instructors rock! They are responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing a suitable range of activities and programs for individuals, groups, or teams. Our team will support you with trainings and curriculum to be followed at the schools and in the sites that we rent for our programs. You will be placed in 1-2 different schools throughout the week where you will teach a full PE curriculum to the school’s students. Depending on the school you will help coordinate recess and some after school programs as well.
We're currently looking for a Full Certified Physical Education teacher to be placed at a school this upcoming fall. Our core schools are located in Manhattan, the Bronx, and Brooklyn.
Physical education (PE) teachers organize games and challenges that promote physical activity among children and young adults from Pre K to middle school. Their goal is to develop motor skills and physical development among younger children and proper exercise and eating habits among older children. PE teachers must adjust their curricula to adapt to children with disabilities or different physical abilities. Some PE teachers also coach sports teams.
Like all instructors, PE teachers must have strong speaking and listening skills. Besides being knowledgeable about an activity, they need to be able to communicate and demonstrate it properly. PE teachers must be able to observe all their students and maintain discipline within the class. In addition to students, they interact with parents, other teachers and school administrators.
PE teachers are expected to teach up to 20 to 25 hours per week plus any additional hours you work outside of the PE programs with KING (KING Hoops, KING Spikes, Recess and more). In the summer months this role would work 6 to 8 weeks at summer camp in a senior leadership position.
1. Teaches knowledge and skills in physical fitness, health education, rhythms and dance, and individual, dual, or team sports, utilizing course of study through Kids in the Game curriculum
3. Works cooperatively with other KING staff members in planning a balanced physical education program.
4. Analyzes, demonstrates, and explains basic skills, knowledge’s, and strategies of formal sports, games rhythms, and fundamentals of body movement.
5. Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil, to the extent feasible.
7. Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to insure the over-all safety of students.
8. Maintains control of storage and use of school-owned property.
9. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive environment in the physical education areas.
10. Evaluates each students’s growth in physical skills, knowledge, and contribution in team sports.
12. Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrator to develop the method by which he/she will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
13. Selects and requisitions uniforms, equipment, and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
14. Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
17. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
19. Performs other duties as many, from time to time be assigned by the supervisor
Our Core KING Values:
We are Committed: Plan and lead small and large group activities for participants during scheduled PE times, transitions, or other down times. Get to know the kids, learn their names, be their role model.
We are Present: Be attentive to the physical, social and emotional needs of the students assigned to your class.
We are Positive: Maintain an enthusiastic attitude and serve as a role model. Promote positive and appropriate behavior through speech and action on a daily basis.
We are Prepared: Dress appropriately, arrive on time, stay until the end of your shift, attend all appropriate staff meetings, and have curriculum set out for school year.
We are Ambassadors: It’s simple, live these core KING values every day and you will be our best ambassador. Be proud of your amazing work with today’s youth and know that this work truly matters.
NY State Teacher Certification
Bachelor’s Degree with major or minor in Physical Education, is preferred
Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
Pass a NY State run background check
CPR, First Aid and AED certified
2+ years of experience working with children required; experience leading recreation programs/activities; experience leading groups of varying sizes
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, participants, parents and caregivers
Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with participants, families and caregivers, both verbally and non-verbally
Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations. Ability to interpret and understand instructions, both written and oral
To apply for the position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org